A vacancy exists for a Compliance Officer within the VAS and Card division, Lesaka Merchant Division, in Cape Town.
About the Lesaka Merchant Division:
The Lesaka Merchant Division is one of three reportable operating segments within the group of companies affiliated with Lesaka Technologies, a publicly listed entity on the JSE and Nasdaq. The business units that fall within the “Merchant Division” focus on providing products and services to merchants, which include the provision of point-of-sale devices which sell value-added services and accept card payments, provision of ATMs and cash vaults, granting of loans, and processing payment instructions to suppliers. Lesaka Technologies aims to be the largest fintech in South Africa, so we intend to grow this stable even more.
Some insights into the Role and joining the Lesaka Merchant Division Legal Department:
Whilst the Lesaka Merchant Division strives to ensure it remains compliant with relevant legislation and manages risk, we are looking for a self-starter to join the Legal Department, who can, amongst other things, take the initiative to formalize, develop and maintain a compliance framework.
The Lesaka Merchant Division Legal Department is a small, but growing team of hard-working, energetic, flexible young professionals. Your role as Compliance Officer would entail supporting the Legal Manager with the compliance and risk requirements in respect of all the business units within the Lesaka Merchant Division.
The opportunity for personal and career growth is what is most exciting. We have only recently been acquired by Lesaka Technologies and are already starting to feel the pressure of being part of a publicly listed group. Therefore, as the Lesaka Merchant Division grows, legislation adapts, and requirements change, so will your responsibilities and the structure of the compliance team.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
- Develop, maintain and execute on a compliance and risk management framework in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders.
- Assist Risk and Compliance and other business areas to review, draft and vet the business units’ internal controls, policies, procedures and/or other relevant documentation and ensure that such controls conform to legislation (including SOX) and the Lesaka Group’s governance and risk requirements.
- In conjunction with the Legal Manager and the Group Risk Department at Lesaka Head Office, assist in the monitoring, interpretation and identification of applicable laws, regulations and industry developments (including SOX), assist with the implementation of actions to ensure compliance, and monitor, identify and investigate potential compliance breaches, compliance irregularities or areas of concern and empower business to address issues and propose a workable solution to ensure compliance.
- Perform compliance and risk training and create awareness to drive and embed conduct to ensure compliance across the organisation
- Review and resolve recommendations from internal compliance or SOX audits relating to compliance areas or as required.
- Compile and submit internal and external compliance and risk reports.
- Collaborate with the relevant stakeholders across the Lesaka Merchant Division to collate information to compile, maintain and manage its risk registers.
- Interact with industry regulators, supervisors and stakeholders, as and when required.
- Complete and submit the relevant regulatory returns.
- Provide advice and guidance on matters pertaining to compliance, corporate governance, and business assurance frameworks and apply that in reviewing the quality of existing and new documentation.
- Support additional internal and external compliance and risk activities as and when required.
Key Requirements for you to apply for the Role:
Experience, Education & Qualifications:
- 3 years experience in risk and compliance management.
- Working knowledge and experience in the relevant legislation applicable to the businesses within the Lesaka Merchant Division, including the National Payment Systems Act, National Credit Act, Banks Act, Financial Intelligence Centre Act, and the Consumer Protection Act.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) and/or admission as a legal practitioner/attorney would be preferred.
- Industry-standard post-graduate degree and/or qualifications in Risk Management / Compliance / Legal and/or Governance, such as CISA or CPRAC would be advantageous.
- Experience in compliance frameworks for Information Security, Compliance and IT Governance Standards: ISO27001/2, ISO31000, COBIT, King IV, NIST and ITIL would be advantageous.
- Strong risk assessment/business assurance capabilities with hands on experience in many technologies and platforms across a broad range of industries.
- Excellent attention to detail, analytical and diagnostic skills.
- A self-starter, who has the ability to take initiative, be creative and solve problems independently, whilst still being a team player.
- Time management and deadline driven.
- Results orientated, accountable and responsible.
- Strong administration and organization skills.
- The ability to work under pressure while maintaining high standards and excellent quality of work.
- Excellent knowledge of risk, legal, compliance and technology environments
- Flawless command of the English language and professional communication (written, verbal/presenting and listening). Excellent written, formatting and oral presentation skills are essential.
- Interpersonal skills.
Benefits of working for the Lesaka Merchant Division:
The culture of the Lesaka Merchant Division cannot be understated. We work hard but play hard, too – in the past two months, we have hiked Lion’s Head (mandatory breakfast, of course!), thrown a Boerie Braai, and Valentine’s Day Karaoke, and each month we host a Thirsty Thursday with drinks, snacks, dress up and games. On Fridays, we wear floral.
We have also adopted a hybrid-working policy – the Legal Department of the Lesaka Merchant Division can choose two days each week to work from home.
To apply for this position, include a 2–3-page CV, specifying the position you are applying for, for the attention of Lezanne Amos at Lezanne.email@example.com
Applications close: 17 February 2023