A vacancy exists for a Senior Legal Advisor within the VAS and Card division, Lesaka Merchant Division, in Cape Town.
About the Lesaka Merchant Division:
The Lesaka Merchant Division is one of three reportable operating segments within the group of companies affiliated with Lesaka Technologies, a publicly listed entity on the JSE and Nasdaq. The business units that fall within the “Merchant Division” focus on providing products and services to merchants, which include the provision of point-of-sale devices which sell value-added services and accept card payments, provision of ATMs and cash vaults, granting of loans, and processing payment instructions to suppliers. Lesaka Technologies aims to be the largest fintech in South Africa, so we intend to grow this stable even more.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating key and complex contracts (e.g. bespoke and standard contracts)
- Providing legal advice and support to the business units within the Lesaka Merchant Division relative to its product offering, processes and functions.
- Research of legislation, regulation and the general laws of South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.
- Assist with the development, maintenance and rollout of contracts, policies and guidance documents.
Key Requirements for you to apply for the Role:
- 4-5 years post articles experience, in a top-tier South African law firm, alternatively proven in-house experience preferably within the national payment industry, primarily in commercial legal work, contract drafting and vetting of a wide variety of contracts.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in the relevant legislation applicable to the businesses within the Lesaka Merchant Division, including the National Payment Systems Act, Conduct of Financial Institutions Bill, relevant SARB directives, PASA frameworks, Financial Intelligence Centre Act, National Credit Act, Banks Act, and Consumer Protection Act would be advantageous.
- Excellent contractual drafting, analysis, and review skills.
- Proficient in Word and Excel.
- People management experience will be advantageous, as your role may involve management, leading and mentoring the other members within the team.
Education & Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB).
- Admission as a legal practitioner / attorney.
- Flawless command of the English language.
- Excellent attention to detail and formatting of documents.
- An assertive self-starter with excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong administration and organization skills.
- Excellent conflict-handling skills.
- The ability to work under pressure while maintaining high standards and excellent quality of work.
- Team player.
- Interpersonal skills.
Benefits of working for the Lesaka Merchant Division:
The culture of the Lesaka Merchant Division cannot be understated. We work hard but play hard, too – in the past two months, we have hiked Lion’s Head (mandatory breakfast, of course!), thrown a Boerie Braai, and Valentine’s Day Karaoke, and each month we host a Thirsty Thursday with drinks, snacks, dress up and games. On Fridays, we wear floral.
You will gain meaningful experience from the vast products and business lines, across various industries, and the growth that comes with working in a large fintech company.
We have also adopted a hybrid-working policy – the Legal Department of the Lesaka Merchant Division can choose two days each week to work from home.
To apply for this position, include a 2–3-page CV, specifying the position you are applying for, for the attention of Lezanne Amos at Lezanne.firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: 17 February 2023